Thursday 8 November 2012

Guest blog - The Southerner explores…


As a former intern myself I like to take on students and offer them the chance to work on projects that (I hope) give them a real sense of what it is like out here in the working world and to help me out when I have a big project and all hands are needed on the deck so to speak.  Olivia is on a one day a week adoption with me from Leeds Met and has been a great help especially in the build up to and during Countryside Live.  I asked her to write about her experience and here is her blog post.

 Guest blog - The Southerner explores…



Yes I am Southerner, but before you stop reading I cannot speak any higher of the North right now, especially after visiting (and not wanting to leave) Countryside Live, you may not admit it but you know I'm right…and I’ll tell you why.

It’s the time of year that brings families, traders, farmers and of course livestock all together for one weekend. I wasn’t sure what to expect but as I approached the venue, the sea of cars and toddlers on shoulders gave me the impression that this was big – very big.

As I arrived and fought my way through the crowds to the main pavilion I was pleasantly surprised to see such variety in ages and so many different stalls. From Ferrets to Figs, candles to cows, it was all there and in full speed. I was immediately transfixed by numerous smells and beautiful sights. With Christmas around the corner I couldn’t help but become giddy at the beautifully crafted wreaths and handmade candles next to me. Children were running around giggling also amazed with all the excited things around and I was definitely one of them. I was offered a pork pie and kindly accepted (whilst slightly dribbling…elegantly) and it was bursting with flavour. I forgot how much I love these events – absolute heaven.

As I carried on past more stands offering me sweets, photographs and I think even Liquorice perfume (strange I know, I hope they weren’t insinuating anything…) I came across a stall ‘The Meat Crusade’ and beside that a very large Steer (made of fibreglass of course) and terribly good looking people, informing us of the benefits of Rose Veal and taste bud melting sensation it leaves…

You’re probably thinking I am all a bit strange right now, but I should probably introduce myself, my name is Olivia, I am 21 years old and studying Public Relations at Leeds Metropolitan University, hold on I’m missing something… That’s right I am also intern at John Penny & Sons….the penny (ironically) drops.

The Meat Crusade is a national campaign led by John Penny & Sons to bring you back to your local butcher. Butchers can tell you far more than a supermarket ever could about meat, they can even tell you the exact farm it has come from.

The team were inundated with people of all ages trying Rose Veal who couldn’t believe the tender taste and healthy texture it had. Long gone are the confined crates and mislead conception, this is the 21st Century. 

Here are the days that it is RSPCA approved and branded a freedom food, Rose Veal has never been better.

I am aware the word ‘Veal’ can make people shoot off in the opposite direction. But today that was not the case in fact the complete opposite. Bull calf’s in the dairy industry are quite often disposed of soon after birth and have no quality of life whatsoever.

Rose Veal calves are brought up in a far more wholesome way, they have plenty of room to move around both inside and out. The response John Penny’s had was amazing. In this day and age people are more broad minded in what they eat especially the young. Teenagers in particular were more curious about the meat and far more open minded than their parents. All you have to do is ask your local butcher, I’m sure they will be more than happy to supply it for you, that way it is a win win for you, your butcher and the calf!

Can rose veal return onto our shelves? Yes. 2,500 samples over two days flew of our stand and many coming back for more. I packed 800 goody bags (yes 800!) and they were gone by 12pm Sunday. What does that tell you?


For more information please visit: http://www.johnpenny.co.uk/the-meat-crusade.html

No comments:

Post a Comment